At Markyate Village School and Nursery we take looking after your children very seriously. Their needs come first. This letter is to outline what ‘Safeguarding’ means for your children and what you should do, or who you can contact if you have a concern.
Please see our Child Protection Policy – Section 11 for our procedures to deal with allegations against staff.
Our safeguarding leads are:
Mr Darren Armoogum
Mrs C Pole
Keeping your children safe means:
- Ensuring the health and safety of all children
- Making sure that the adults who work here have undergone all relevant safety and security checks
- Protecting children from deliberate harm
- Being an anti-bullying school
- Being proactive against racist behaviour
Protecting our children from harassment and discrimination includes:
- Caring for children’s personal needs
- Meeting the needs of pupils with medical conditions
- Providing first aid
- Protecting children from drug and substance misuse
- Children enjoying safe educational visits
- Keeping children safe when they use the Internet
- Using safe physical intervention when necessary
- Making sure our school is secure.
If you are concerned about the safety and welfare of any of our children please don’t hesitate to come and see me, Mrs Pole or any member of our staff. Alongside this letter is a chart that makes clear who else to contact in school if you have any concerns.
In any conflict between the needs of the child and those of others, the needs of the child must come first. Any allegation which may indicate that an adult behaved in a way that has:
- harmed a child, or may have harmed a child;
- possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child; or,
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates s/he is unsuitable to work with children
must be reported to the Headteacher.
The matter is then reported to the LA Safeguarding Authority and to the Chair of Governors if necessary. If the concern is about the Headteacher then it must be reported to either the Chair of Governors or to the Safeguarding unit.
Confidentiality will be upheld as far as possible at all times.
If you have any questions regarding safeguarding at Markyate school please do not hesitate to contact me in the usual way through the school office.
To find out who specifially you can contact to discuss a safeguarding matter please see the attached: